the farahway galaxy...

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Writer's block and Urdu poetry

Two years since I last posted. Quite a long time to suffer from writer's block!! I'd rather not write than write just to fill up the pages of my blog. So what prompted me to write now..is what brings us to the second part of the title to this post..Urdu poetry.


Disclaimer: If you don't know Hindi, you will not be able to appreciate the poetry I have shared.

I was reading a few couplets somewhere and I realised the power of Urdu poetry. It's amazing how two lines could convey so much more you could write a book on it. I haven't read such potent stuff in a long time and it's hard to recall if I ever read something like that in English.

My father studied in an Urdu medium school till Grade 6. I cannot even begin to imagine how I would have fared studying in an Urdu medium school, then a Marathi medium school and then doing an under-grad in Engineering in English! But my father did that and it somehow makes me envious of him. He grew up studying the language and learnt to appreciate it's intricacies. Imagine being exposed to Ghalib, Faiz, Rumi and Iqbal. Such rich prose and poetry.

At a lot of functions, I've noticed that most of our family friends have this knack of saying the right couplets at the right times. Almost always, the lines are followed by a slurry of "Wah Wah"s . Try as I may, I never remember nice lines from poems or novels. The only one at the tip of my tongue is this one by Ghalib:

"Masjid mein baithkar peene de ghalib
Varna aisi jagah bata jahaan khuda na ho."
(Let me drink in the mosque Ghalib,
or else tell me of a place where God does not exist.)

This is one of the easier couplets to understand. And again something I could probably devote a whole post to. What amazes me is how some of the couplets convey a feeling of extreme happiness, love, devotion or pain and disillusionment. Take for instance, the following lines by Ghalib:

'Mohabbat karnevaale kam na honge,
Teri mehfil mein lekin ham na honge.

Zamaane bhar ka gham ya ek tera gham.
Yeh gham hoga to kitne gham na honge.'

(You may have many admirers,
But I will not join them in your company.
It's either all of life's misfortunes or the misfortune of not having you.
If I choose the latter, then I wouldn't have so many(life's) misfortunes.)

Most Urdu poetry you read will probably go over your head unless you speak Urdu or have studied it. I don't understand most of it either but the shear beauty of it is enough for me to start learning it. Urdu shouldn't be an alien language for those who know Hindi which I think is a good starting point. I'll probably post a few couplets from time to time.

There's a whole body of literature out there that is too beautiful to be missed.


Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

True.
I'm sure you will not regret it. But be warned..it is tough!
Try Shahryar, Sahir Ludhianvi and Kaifi Azmi. You won't be disappointed.
Rumi is more spiritual than the rest.

July 23, 2009 at 4:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yowza. I'm happy trying to get my vocabulary back in Engish. Thank you please!

Jokes apart, I get what you're talking about. Except my holy grail is a different one - film appreciation. I mean some of the really serious dialogue on film is so darn deep and layered, EVEN when the discussion is not on the art per-se but even more general topics like..the state of cinema for example. Maybe it is the passion in those conversations that draws me...or maybe it's just the intellectual challenge of actually understanding and thereby truly appreciating the language of film! :) I don't know completely yet. Till date I have not been able to wrap my head around "Citizen Kane" and that is supposed to be like the Mona Lisa of movies.

Well, to each his/her Urdu. :) Keep going!

July 24, 2009 at 12:10 PM  
Blogger Farah said...

Thanks Dev! I know you've mentioned movie art to me many times..but i've just never been able to get my finger around it. Except maybe in one case..and those are tarantino movies...theres something to the long silences...the long periods of inactivity followed by a spurt of action..even the tarantino-esque font. So maybe I'm getting a hint of what you're trying to say. Having said that, QT art is a lot more in your face then what you have mentioned (subtle nuances)..perhaps so subtle that I fail to see them!

October 31, 2009 at 12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well for example when a landscape shot of the Australian outback is supposed to be reflecting on the gruesomeness already being depicted in the "The Proposition" , or how long shots were deliberately used in the initial portions of "Road to Perdition" to reflect the distance between father and son, while close-ups had the exact opposite effect later on in their journey together. (I know you haven't seen either movie, but you get the point) I mean, being able to see and 'get' that something like this is going on would help me to enjoy and appreciate these films so much more; a sophistication in taste and understanding which I don't quite have right now, but would love to grow and acquire. Which is where I kinda saw the essence of your post converge with my thoughts... :)

November 2, 2009 at 12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home